The temple was originally based in 948 AD. However, it reached fame once it absolutely was restored within the thirteenth century by Puvaneka Vaahu, a minister of the Jaffna King Kalinga Omaha. The Nallur Kandaswamy Temple was designed for a 3rd time by Senpaha Perumal (a.k.a Sapumal Kumaraya) UN agency was the adopted son of the Kotte king. Nallur served because the capital of the kings of Jaffna, and was a extremely defensive fort and town. there have been dignified buildings, the palaces, businesses and far additional
The third designed temple was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1624 AD; and plenty of churches designed over the ruins. the placement of the initial temple is currently coated by the St James Church, Nallur. a part of the initial Sivalingam from the temple remained within the parsonage, however was destroyed throughout the recent warfare. currently solely the platform wherever it absolutely was mounted remains.
The current temple was in-built 1734 AD by Don Juan. However, the ‘Golden Era’ of the Nallur Temple began within the latter Nineties with the takeover of the temple administration by Arumuga Maapaana Mudaliyar; UN agency started renovating it to bring it back to its earlier magnificence.
Created within the ways in which of the traditional temple cities of Madura and Padaliputra in India; the city of Nallur too revolves around this temple
- The cities had four entrances with temples at every gate.
- There were outer circles wherever the commoners resided and businesses flourished, inner circles wherever extremely placed nobles resided.
- The walls of the temple then rose, resembling the towers (in this case kopurams) and palisades of a fort.
- Within these walls were the outer court, the holy bathing well (theertha keni), the residences of the clergymen, the inner temple, and smaller shrines for lesser deities.
- The inner temple itself was large; and contained the inner court, the central shrine or mulasthanam, shrines for different major gods and goddesses, the ballroom, the conference hall, and plenty of different such parts.
While the initial Nallur Kandaswamy Temple was on this same grand scale; the present temple is on a far smaller scale once considering space, while still being one amongst the most important and traditionally correct temples still existing in country. The temple has four kopurams, a rarity nowadays; as well as a colossal golden-ochre Rajakopuram standing about seven stories (22-25m) tall. a number of the kopurams were designed at intervals the last decade. The inner and outer circles typically perform as traditional roads; except throughout the temple’s elaborate pageant. With stunning sculptures and design created by architects brought in from India; the temple could be a visual delight that’s best seen directly.
Guidelines on visiting the Nallur Kandaswmy Temple.
- The temple includes a massive courtyard; don’t forget take away your shoes and wash your feet at the outer well before you enter.
- You bring things like flowers, fruits, natural resin and such to supply to the shrines. These are often bought from retailers opposite the temple; however everything except natural resin and incense should be washed outside before givin
- Men aren’t allowed to wear the other clothes on top of waist level at intervals the temple, as has been the Hindu custom from ancient days. ladies square measure inspired to wear consumer goods that is non-revealing and below knee length.
- No photography is allowed at intervals the temple; and mobile phones should be changed to forestall distressful different devotees.
- The tickets for the poojas square measure oversubscribed at a mere Rs one.00, and are therefore for many years. you’ll be able to obtain some tickets and supply them to the clergymen at the shrines to look at the colourful poojas with the traditional mantras.
- While go to place your palms along and hold it at chest height.
Worshipping Nallur – A Virtual Tour
- The temple has four entrances, however you may be mistreatment the most entrance, that lies directly before the most shrine.
- The main shrine can lie before you, at intervals that is that the holy spear (vel)which is believed to be associate degree whole thing left by the particular God Skanda himself.
- You can do worship and do a pooja here; you may be offered holy ash, powdery wood paste and kumkum at the top.
- Apply the holy ash on your forehead with the 3 middle fingers of your hand. Take a number of the ochre wood paste onto your index and press a bit circle of it on the middle of your forehead. Take a number of the red kumkum powder onto identical finger, because it can stick from the wet of the paste, and endure a smaller circle on high of the wood circle.
- The temple is frequented by worshippers of the many races and religions, UN agency you may be ready to see.
- From the most shrine; you may be traveling right-handed on the path which fits round the holy bathing well at intervals the temple. The well is employed to wash the figurines of the gods and goddesses.
- You will walk behind the most shrine to come back up to the ballroom and gathering hall to the left.
- The path has numerous shrines, like Ganesh, Valli, Theivayaanai and Shiva, interspersed on the manner. you may be ready to worship the shrines, and have poojas if clergymen square measure accessible there; whereas additionally marveling at the elaborated carvings and design. Some have bells outside that you simply will ring.
- After finishing this rotation, you may find yourself at the most shrine all over again, at that purpose you may prepare to depart the most temple.
- Before feat you’ll be able to lie face down if you’re male or kneel and bit your head to the bottom if you’re female; and pay your final respects the normal manner. gift some cash to the temple’s until if you’ll be able to, as this may be used for more renovations.
- Once you step outside, go towards the left towards the tall shed-like metal structure you see. This homes the chariot, that is barely used throughout the pageant. Walk around it right-handed to end go to the temple properly
- Along the manner round the chariot, note the short twisted tree on the so much side; that was once the meditation place of the deceased saint Yoga Hindoo.
Nallur Kandaswamy Temple pageant
- If you arrived throughout late August, you may be lucky enough to examine the temple’s known 25-day pageant. This known and colourful pageant is viewed by tens of thousands of individuals from round the world.
- The special occasions throughout the pageant that aren’t to be lost square measure the Manjam, Kailasavahanam, Vellivimanam, Thandayuthepani Utsavam, Sapparam, the foremost necessary Ther Thiruvila (chariot festival), Theertham (water cutting festival), and therefore the Thirukalyanam (the holy wedding). However, the whole pageant could be a advanced affair that causes the whole city to enter a festal mood.
- Another in style event that you’ll get to examine is Thirukkarthikai, that happens throughout period. this can be additionally extremely attended and has a lot of to look at.
- The Nallur Kandaswamy temple is a crucial relic of country, that has been praised in several ancient texts from round the world. in and of itself a visit could be a should to properly perceive the glory of ancient Hindu Temples